Thursday, 8 October 2015

Today in the garden

Today the rain has stopped!!!  Yay!  Finally!!!  So taking advantage of that fact I nipped out just a few minutes ago and quickly too my camera round to see what I could find.

Although it isn't raining any more, it is colder than it has been.  Don't let the pictures fool you!  I had the heating on at full blast in the car this morning going to a meeting at work!

It turns out that there is still lots happening and lots to see, so I will take you on a little walk with me!


First off this beautiful little tiny pink rosebud.  Isn't it gorgeous!


The grapes are now really ripe looking, so I am surprised that the birds haven't started eating them yet.  Is it that the birds can't see them because of the leaves, are the grapes even sourer than usual, or perhaps they are saving them for later!  Who knows.  Certainly not me!



The little tiny yucca's are not so tiny any more and are growing really well now.  I am so very pleased.  The pot needs a good weed, but look how well they are growing!!  Yay!





There are other splashes of colour around too, with some annuals still holding on in pots, sedums coming out and other things still flowering as they have all summer.  It is amazing really.




I love this Verbena Bonariensis, I have two now, so I am hoping to add some more next year because they look so good and are obviously very happy growing in this border.




Some things have really surprised me, this fuchsia is doing so well after a very slow start - in fact I thought it was dead! - and the geraniums are still trying to flower.  It hasn't been a good year for them at all.  I will gather then up soon and pop them under the table that we will leave out over the winter.  Last year I popped them into a small plastic greenhouse and while the greenhouse lasted well, the geraniums didn't.  I will try a different approach this time and see what happens!



This cosmos is a surprise.  It came from some seeds that came in one of your lovely giveaway's a couple of years ago I think - sorry, I can't remember who sent them seeds!  Nothing happened before, and then all of a sudden this plant sprouted and is now doing its very best to flower.  I hope it makes it.


The hostas are changing from green to yellow, so near the end of their season.  They do add well to the autumn colours with their yellow leaves.






This geranium has hardly flowered at all, but I don't mind because I bought it for the colour of the leaves really.  I do hope that this one survives.  I know that I could take them indoors, but that would require me to actually have space to keep them indoors and sadly I don't so they have to take their chances outside!


So that is our little trip around the garden!  Hope you enjoyed it and the fact that it wasn't raining!

Amy

35 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Amy. It's surprising how much colour there is in the garden still. But we have had a bit of an Indian summer in our neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos, Amy. Douglas told me that our geraniums were just coming into flower too. I think they gave up on summer (like I did) and then September was so warm that they've decided to bloom now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post Amy. There is so much colour in your garden! Sadly, mine still looks like a bomb has hit it. I only have a few roses and that is it. zip else. I plan to really try harder next year and pay it the attention that it deserves. It's such a small space, I really have no excuse! I'll take inspiration from your garden for next year! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You still have a lot of color left. Except for Lantanas and Ginger Lilies my garden is bare and a lot had to be cut back because we've had so much rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is doing so well, with lots to make you happy-all those pretty flowers. We were rained on earlier this week but yesterday and today have been dry. I still have some flowers in the garden and in Paignton yesterday the hanging baskets were still looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is still looking lovely. Mine is just starting to turn autumnal. Really like this time of year xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos, Amy! Your garden looks beautiful.
    I love all your pink flowers and especially the oxalis. (I had one in Italy and it was most faithfully blooming almost all the year. :) I wonder if it would survive here.) We have now carried all pelargoniums indoors, but I hope there will still be enough warm days to keep them outside during the day.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feeling the chill here too now. Loads of washing dried in the wind here today too. My garden has almost all gone asleep.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am amazed by how much colour you still have, mine is not fairing as well. The only thing I have left is carrots and some late green salad leaves. No flowers at all, I really must remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, it was supposed to be a 5% chance of rain today and I guess I got unlucky. Gardening rained off after an hour. Boo.
    I love Verbena bonariensis too and even better, so do the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe how much colour you still have in your garden Amy, I was out trimming bushes this afternoon but this weekend weather permitting I will have to have a good look to see if I still have any flowers hiding somewhere.:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your garden is very full and wonderful. You are lucky to have so much garden space! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Still plenty to see out in the garden, that rose is such a pretty colour, Geraniums have not done well here either I planted them in the pots on the steps down to the lawn and they are yet all to flower at the same time, and as for the sweetpeas I've given up all hope
    Clare xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy, The one tiny pink rose bud was beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your mantel, I tried to leave a comment the other day but blogger wouldn't let me! The gardens are still doing ok aren't they, my hostas too have died back but there's still lots of colour. I'm cutting back as things are dying, and I've got masses of evening primrose to did out, don't mind a bit of it but it soon takes over. Have a good weekend :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Still plenty going on outdoors but as you say, it's much cooler than it was. Only a matter of time now before we get our first frost.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amy I am jealous. Everything is so dead here and I have been working in the garden cleaning things up for winter to come. This week separating some plants and moving them to other spots. I will have one long bed along side of our foundation to plant next year and not sure what to buy. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your garden is still looking lovely. Mine looks a bit battered after all the rain. Hopefully I can find time over the weekend to have a bit of a tidy up. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. You still have so much colour in your garden, Amy, and it's definitely not summer time anymore. I think they're just happy in your garden and they're all looked after so well. I hope the flowers will keep going for a bit longer, that rosebud will be gorgeous when it blooms. X

    ReplyDelete
  20. How colourful! Those grapes are enormous, you'll be able to start treading them soon to make a couple of bottles of wine! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lots of gorgeousness still in your garden. I especially like the flowers in the pot, beautiful. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. i enjoy all the different colors. i need to investigate the Verbena Bonariensis, i am wondering if i have seen it before? i feel i know the name. i wonder? google here i come. ha. ha!! color is good. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  23. There's a lot of beauty in your garden yet!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow - everything is still looking really great!! I love all of the colors and some of the fading/changing leaves among the flowers to show it is Fall. And your grapes look awesome!!
    Thanks for the tour and such pretty shots of your garden. Blessings. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your garden still has lots of colour and interest Amy! I dragged a lot of potted plants indoors, but they really do take up a lot of space in my kitchen. I'm not sure they'll all survive there either. I have a large fuchsia in my daughter's bedroom ... hope she doesn't mind ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  26. There is still a lot of pretty color in your garden. The grapes look juicy and delicious, and oh so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your photos are simply the sweetest! That first one took my breath away - what beauty! I am happy to hear it stopped raining {{smiles}} I hope you're able to enjoy some lovely sunshine.

    Happy weekend, Amy! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lots of pretty things in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's lovely to see how much is still going on. I love Verbena bonariensis too – it's such a good value plant. If you leave it to set seed it will happily spread itself around its spot, so you probably won't need to buy more plants. You should have lots of baby plants next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So many beautiful things in your garden still. I'm very impressed with your hostas - the slugs and snails ate ours months ago! xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the grapes! So much beauty still in your yard! I killed a fuscia this past summer, but it was just so hot and I'm pretty sure it was GONE. They are so beautiful. I may try again.

    ReplyDelete
  32. How can you still have so many flowers when it is that cold? Everything is still beautiful.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  33. gorgeous flowery views! i'm hoping to over-winter a particularly lovely shocking pink geranium this year -- i've never done it before but i figure it can't hurt to try! it's got two chances, as my Grandad says!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really enjoyed your garden tour and am so impressed that there is still so much to see. We have been so lucky with the weather where I live too and and I haven' yet had to wear a coat. BTW your grapes look wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your garden tours. Thank you for another one. It is always interesting to see how things are growing even though our seasons are opposite. My grapevine has just started growing again after its winter dormancy - I didn't get the chance to move it to a new position as planned so it will have to stay where it is for another summer - yet your grapevine has fruit and is still growing too! I didn't expect that we would both have grapes growing at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx