Wednesday, 28 October 2015

Sudbury Hall

Sudbury Hall is a magnificent building indeed with a great deal of incredible carved details in the ceilings, wall panels and other decorative details.  It is a joy to visit and so is the Museum of Childhood which is housed in some of the old stable buildings.  I will do a post about that another day.

Today though I wanted to share a few glimpses of Sudbury Hall with you.


The wonderful old brick fa├žade greets you immediately as you arrive.  It is so warm and welcoming.



Of course we had to pretend to ring for the butler!  What else would you do.


Many great details that I love to photograph.  This is a fire dog.  Not a real dog of course, just part of the grate that holds the logs for the fire.



You can see some of the amazing carved ceilings that there were.  The work really was incredible.  I don't think that I have ever seen ceilings like this anywhere else.


Of course I photograph more mundane things too that appeal to me!

Then I return to the more ornate details.







The stand above is called a dumb waiter and was used so that dishes could be bought into the dining room, put to one side and then the diners could help themselves.  No need for the butler or footman to hang around.




The kitchens were surprisingly small I thought.  But there were still interesting details such as the pressure cooker than you can see in the photo below.  The room guide and another visitor were discussing how terrifying they thought that pressure cookers were!




Isn't this library fabulous!!!  There is a project being undertaken at the moment to conserve all of the books and it is apparently being done by volunteers.  It must be fascinating work.  There are an awful lot of books to get through though!



There was an exhibition through various parts of the house of pieces of needlework that had been done taking their inspiration from the house.  I only photographed one of them because I couldn't get good shots of the others.  This piece is very interesting though.  You can read more about it below.





Our visit then came to an end and we excited at the rear of the house.  The gardens are small, but beautiful!


You can see that the rear of the house is just as imposing as the front is!


I hope that you are enjoying these posts, I will return to crafty things I promise, but right now I am mostly working on secret things that I cannot share and I really want to get these travel posts organised and shared with you otherwise you will not get to see them!

If you would like to any more information you can find out about the property here.

Amy

34 comments:

  1. Lovely. I'm fascinated by old kitchens. Thanks for the tour. I've been quiet too, because of secrets bits and also doing 2 baby quilts for a friend's customer. They are now finished so hope to blog soon. Enjoy the rest of the week and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a spot of Grinding Gibbons carving round the portrait. It's a beautiful house with so many intricate decorations, I love the library stairs too. Thanks Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Long Gallery at Sudbury with so many lovely Lely's Ladies hanging on its walls. Derbyshire is a good county for NT properties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to see the ktichens in old houses. Let's face it, if we were alive back then, most of us would have been working in the kitchens - or the bedrooms - rather than lording it about upstairs! :oD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Amy! I for one real enjoy these tours of such grand places!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Sudbury Hall, it's just along the A50 from us. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, I love the library and the long gallery - last time we visited it was near Christmas and there were dancers in the end of the long gallery a la Jane Austen era - it was lovely to watch, I love the bell on the main front door too:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly have an eye for spotting the interesting details, Amy. The kitchens are always fascinating but, as you guessed, my attention was caught by the beautiful embroidery. I love the way the house has been an inspiration to the embroider. Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely building, and oh the library! Great photos, thanks for taking us on a stroll with you, and for popping by my little blog - and leaving a comment helps make you realise you're not talking to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous building and those ceilings, wow. What a big undertaking that must be, conserving all the books in the library, but well worth it. I do enjoy touring places like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What incredible plaster ceilings! That's a great shot of what I assume is the Long Gallery ... wow! I like the red brickwork on the outside as well. A beautiful home that just oozes "privilege".
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely building, Amy. I, like some of your other commenters, am always fascinated by the kitchens in such places. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Amy, another great house, it's so lovely of you to share with usx

    ReplyDelete
  13. The architecture of the building and the decor are outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this building is gorgeous inside and out. I really like the beautiful carvings and mouldings throughout and the green room looks very cozy and comfortable. Thank you for the nice tour Amy. I hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Magnificent. All that brick is amazing! I love wondering places like that and having a glimpse into the past.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a grand place! So many wonderful details!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Amy! I love seeing these gorgeous old historic estates. So fun!! Especially the kitchens -and that library (swoon!!). You always take me on the best tours. Love that dear Friend! ;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful place, could move into the library tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a grand and beautiful house and gorgeous photos of it. Thank you for such a nice tour, Amy!
    Wishing you a happy week.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great place ! Remind me Downton Abbey...
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love seeing the historic details of these wonderful treasures. Thanks for sharing! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always like the kitchens best so I figure my ancestors were downstairs folk!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just beautiful. I think I might ask for National Trust membership for Christmas - we are so lucky to have so many fine country houses in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You can post as many NT (and other historic organization) properties as you like, Amy, I love to see them! What a wonderful house and how very fortunate we are in this country not only to have these houses but the NT to care for them!
    I wonder if you are watching the prog about the Landmark Trust and their recent restorations, in particular the house at Lyme Regis with all the Coade Stone embellishments (and where novelist John Fowles lived and wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman.) I have read about and written about Coade Stone (a remarkable substance, actually more ceramic than stone) and today, while in Torquay, I'm sure I spotted some Coade Stone decorations on some buildings, even though they'd been painted over when the properties had been painted.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't imagine LIVING in such grandeur!

    Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amy, I linked to you over on my blog today. I made your Baked Squash and Eggs last night, and it was SO FREAKIN' GOOD! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely beautiful AMy, I love especially the kitchen and the Library !!
    Just beautiful house !!
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous!!! I am in LOVE with that library! :-) I would never leave, lol.

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an amazing building. So many gorgeous rooms (especially that library!). I can't wait to see your post on the Museum of Childhood; I love that sort of thing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I never tire of your photo-tours through beautiful English homes. This is a beautiful place, and the library is stunning. And so are those gorgeous ceilings! xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Always interesting viewing, seeing as I live on the other side of the world. It was a totally different world the aristocrats lived in wasn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks like a beautiful and interesting place to visit. Thanks for sharing your photos. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. That pressure cooker is a dream! The whole kitchen, in fact - Love it! Thanks for your tour! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx