Tuesday, 20 October 2015

Spiced squash and eggs - quick and easy dinner

Sometimes when you need a quick and easy dinner it can be easy to turn to a ready meal or to something like pasta and a jar of sauce.  Instead of that, what about something that is quick and easy and very tasty that you can make yourself?

Enter Spiced Squash and Eggs!


I like things like this, not too many ingredients, you can keep most of them on hand and there isn't lots of preparation required.  What could be better.

There was only one difficulty with this dish.  Photographing it.  The camera lens kept steaming up!


Should you want to give it a try, here is the recipe.

Ingredients (for two people, simply increase the quantities for more people!)

1 small butternut squash
2 to 3 large mushrooms
Olive oil - or your other favourite oil
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder or garam masala
Salt and Pepper
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 200 degrees centigrade.

Peel and deseed squash, chop into bite sized pieces.

Cut mushrooms into bite sized pieces.

Place squash and mushrooms on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and sprinkle spices and salt and pepper over.  Mix well to coat vegetables.

Cook in oven until vegetables are soft, but not mushy.  About 30 minutes.

Move vegetables to make space to crack the eggs in amongst them.  Crack four eggs - into separate places - among the vegetables.  Sprinkle the eggs with a little salt and pepper to season them.


Return to the oven until the eggs are cooked to your liking - I suggest fully set whites and still wobbly yolks.  Probably no more than 5 minutes.  If you are unsure of cooking the eggs this way, just fry them in a separate pan.

Serve!  Some chilli sauce would be a good accompaniment if you are into that sort of thing.  A slice of crusty bread probably wouldn't go amiss either.

That is it.  Very easy dinner indeed!


Amy

p.s. Don't forget to join the Christmas Card Swap - click on the button at the top of my sidebar to find out more!  Thank you everyone who has signed up so far.

40 comments:

  1. Yum, apart from the eggs, not keen on eggs. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this Amy it sounds and looks yummy. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, delicious, and so easy too. I'd definitely have a little tiny sprinkle of chilli. I think I'll try this with one of my allotment squashes that are sitting in the garage waiting to be eaten. Thanks for the idea. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy that made my tummy rumble, I love squash and eggs! But I've never tried them together, what a great idea! Thanks for sharing :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum yum, it looks delicious. My kind of food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Amy,
    Wow I have never had anything like this before but this sure looks good! Yes a great way to get your veggies too! Lol.
    Have a wonderful Tuesday and thanks for sharing. I will definitely make this sometime.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Chilli for me too please. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Yum! What a fantastic and simple supper. I shall try it out tonight. Thanks so much for posting this :o) XX

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks delicious, I've got a blue Kuri squash in the kitchen waiting to be chopped up by a strong man. Said man can get in from his cycle ride home, chop squash, have a shower and a cold beer and supper will be ready just like that. I even have mushrooms and a fresh crusty loaf - perfect. Thanks Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is making me feel very, VERY hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds lovely Amy, I like my squash spicy but have never had it with eggs. Thank you for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks good I love eggs cooked in the oven.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds really yummy. I will have to have a make of it. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Amy, it sounds yummy. I'm with you sometimes the quick and easy route now that the kids don't live at home we both or all about easy. Weekends we would love to make htis thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had the same problem last week with the lens steaming up. Looks like a great supper, tasty and warming.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks very delicious indeed! I happen to have a butternut squash. Thanks Amy. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. great idea, I often see recipes that cook eggs in that way but have never tried it before. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like the perfect dish for "fall".

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea Amy! I would never think of putting them together - but it's kind of like having a Fall version of hash and eggs. ;) Yum!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a very attractive dish... and I bet very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Amy! I've never heard of anything like this! I'm not a fan of fried eggs but my hubby sure is! Looks great though. Thanks for popping in to see me and here's to a great week for you.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, this looks wonderful and right up my alley! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love quick meals like this and often use eggs for one. Can you believe I don't like squash? I'm sure this is good, but not for me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Amy ! Looks delicious! I'm always on the hunt for squash recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. YUM YUM YUM!
    lots of love
    Jooles x x x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks good and sounds so easy. Yum. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That sounds like my kind of food - spicy, love butternut squash, and not fattening - perfect

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks very nice Amy and I have a squash in the veg basket too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It looks delicious. Thanks for the wonderful idea.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks good and tasty, love the idea of the squash and mushrooms and could put eggs in just for my husband as I'm not keen on eggs, thanks for sharing the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, I love Butternut squash! Lovely dish!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yum, looks so good! I would've never thought to pair eggs with squash, but why not? Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have never seen this before....very interesting!
    Hope you are well...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've bought my squash, just have to get some mustard seeds tomorrow and then I all set to try out this recipe. Will report back to you! Thanks for sharing the recipe,

    ReplyDelete
  35. This sounds delicious Amy! I thought the eggs seemed a bit odd at first, but something to try :)
    Wendy
    (I'm catching up with you tonight ... where has the week gone?!)

    ReplyDelete
  36. This looks so yummy Amy - definitely my type of food, so I will be making this soon. It seems like the perfect option for a lazy brunch so I might have to make it this weekend. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx