Wednesday, 7 October 2015

October Mantel

Once again it is my monthly mantel post!  I cannot believe that there are only two more to go!  I don't expect that next months will change much, so really there is only the one for December to think about now.  The year has flown past much more quickly than I could have imagined, but it has been a fun thing to do each month.

This month of course has to be an autumn theme!  You have gathered by now that I am all about the autumn decorating.

So, Ta Dah!  I give you Octobers mantel!



With of course the traditional sideways view!  I always take a photo from this point each month.  It wasn't something that I intentionally started, but now that I have I have to keep going.


You will recognise many of the things on the mantel this month if you have been reading my blog for any length of time.  That is one of the things that I love though.  Taking what I already have and rearranging it for the different seasons or just because I feel like it.  It surprises me how different things can look depending on where they are and what they are grouped with.


The owls were made from a kit a couple of years ago now and come out each autumn, usually hanging from the fireguard - not when the fire is on of course!  This year though they are making an appearance on the mantel itself.  Along with one of my favourite amber glass vases and some apples and leaves.


On the other side of the mantel is a pumpkin that I crocheted in the last couple of weeks.  I have also added my recently completed needlefelt rabbit and his little fox companion.  My other amber glass vase completes this side of the mantel - oh and with the addition of that naughty little black kitty climbing up!



Last year I made some bunting with autumn leaves on it for the mantel, and I have used that again elsewhere - I will share that in a few days time - as I had an idea for something new this year.

Do you remember the Holly Hobbie bag I made a recently?  Well, I used the same fabrics and hexi templates and made these rings.  They are double sided, so they look the same on the back.  I sewed the outer edges together, right sides facing once I had made the rings, then turned them through and sewed around the middles.

After that I added some largeish running stitches to add a quilting feel around the inner and outer edges of the ring.  Finished off with some bakers twine bows I think they look like little autumn flower wreaths!

They are then strung up on a longer piece of bakers twine.  Now, I cannot take full credit for this idea, because as you know if you read Amanda's lovely blog, Vintage Sheet Addict, she has a similar garland of patchwork rings on her mantel and that is where I got the idea.  I think that hers are made a little differently - better! - than mine, but it is the thought that counts isn't it!


I cannot decide which ring is my favourite?


This one perhaps...  Or maybe one of the others!


So, that is it October's completed mantel!  Oh, with the addition of some more apples in the giant teacup that I know many of you admire!  Thank you for your sweet comments about it.  I also removed the spring flowers that I had on the twigs you can see in the right of the picture.  They have little lights on them so I think that now I will have the lights on in the evenings I will leave the twigs unadorned.

I should also say that Cedric the sausage dog, Eric the musical dog, and Johann (Sebastian Baaaach!!!!) the sheep move out of the way when the fire is on!  Fire safety is very important in this house.


I hope that I have inspired you to have a go at refreshing your own mantel.  If you don't have a mantel how about dressing up your coffee table or a shelf somewhere.  Or your kitchen windowsill?

I have seen several of you dressing sofa tables, the tops of trunks, sideboards and shelves and they all look very pretty!  It is the right time of year for decorating isn't it.

You can see the previous months mantels here:-


Happy mantel decorating!

Amy

52 comments:

  1. Lovely mantel and the addition of the leaves is a great touch, I have got my crafted pumpkin collection out thats as far as I have got really, your needle felted hare is really sweet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy...love your October/Autumn mantel.....my favourite season. I have a kit for the needlefelt hare/rabbit that I bought last year at the Knitting & Stitching show in Harrogate....I haven't started him yet as I'm not quite sure he'll end up looking as he should.....could end up as a messy doggy type thingy......maybe I should give it a go though! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so good at this, I love it and if I had to vote, your October mantel would definitely get my vote. It's so wonderfully autumnal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning and so much work goes into it all Amy, well done, just divine

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favourite one of the year, as I love autumn colours! I love the hexies - I may have to steal the idea!! I have to admit that the only time I change our mantel is for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this mantel, Amy. Everything is perfect for the season, the owls, the apples, the animals and the golden leaves, but your crotchet pumpkin takes the cake - Perfection! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. the owls and the pumpkin are my favs!!!!
    xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Amy and my favourites bits are of course the owls and the very interesting bunting. Mr Rabbit (your felting is great) certainly looks as though he is looking after all on the mantel. Wish I had a fireplace!!!! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really lovely, maybe the best one so far. Owls are maybe my favourite, and I am most impressed with the patchwork rings, as my sewing skills are best desribed as tragic 😃😊.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seeing your felted hare makes me want to get on with mine, I got a kit for Christmas and I haven't even touched it yet. So much I want to do, so little time. Your matel looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely Amy, the hexagons are perfect for this time of year when the quilts need to come out. I really love the new crocheted pumpkin as well, and your rabbit is a favourite, he's brilliant. It's all gone quite chilly and damp hasn't it, so I think your mantel is decorated just in time for the new season. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Amy I think this might be my favourite so far, I LOVE autumn and autumnal decorations :) The hexie ring garland is so beautiful, and I love all the other decorations, especially the rabbit and the owls! I want to decorate my house now... :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your felted hare and fox, you're so clever. Love the idea of the apples and leaves, lovely mantel xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Amy, As always a amazing Mantel, I just love the crochet pumpkin!, have a nice weekxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great mantel, I think this has been my favourite so far. I love the Autumn rings bunting the fabric choices are perfect for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Amy! Your mantel looks so cute! I love your little crocheted pumpkins and those little owls! This would make me smile each time I passed it! I like the sideways snaps. I do that too! Hope your week is going well.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amy, all of those items are so precious. Your hexi garland is such a sweet touch! I love the fact that you decorate your mantle every month. What a wonderful tradition for your home!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Amy
    It looks lovely and your needlefelted rabbit looks at home. I enjoy changing the decorations on my little seasonal tree too - it is addictive, isn't it?
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  19. All so very pretty . Looks great ! Wonderful work .Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very pretty, Amy ... best of all I live the over-size cup and saucer filled with apples. But then, I'm more a ceramics person than a craft person, as you know! I also like the picture (I don't know whether it's a watercolour or a print) above your mantel ... is it Tarr Steps on Exmoor or something quite different ... or maybe I should've gone to Specsavers!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous colours ... I love the pumpkin and little owls! M x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Goodness don't the months go by quickly! Your patchwork circles give the mantel a new twist with a nod to the flowers that have been enjoyed over the summer but in autumn shades. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. It so pretty and perfect for autumn with those lovely yellow and orange and brown tones!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Always fun to see your new mantel. Love the owls.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love those owls, very cute :) The patchwork garland looks pretty too

    ReplyDelete
  26. Being a great fan of the fall season, I have to say this is my very favourite of all your wonderful mantle arrangements! Your crocheted pumpkin is brilliant, and I love the owls and the needle felted animals. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Of all the mantels you've done, this may be my favorite. Love the colors, love the pumpkin (could you share the directions?) and absolutely adore the rabbit and the fox. And then there's your furry little sheep, I collect sheep and he's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. very pretty and very autumnal! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Perfectly timed - it really is feeling like autumn now. I love your hexie rings and it all looks so gorgeous with the rosy apples and leaves. We have one of those owls too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks adorable! I love the little owls. :-) I'm getting ready to add some new things for Halloween to mine. Have a great day!

    Blessings
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  31. It looks lovely Amy, everything sits there so perfectly I love those hexi rings they look very effective. I think it's great that you take the time to do this every month I really must try it too maybe next year. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is lovely. I don't have a mantel but am going to follow your suggestion and look for somewhere in my sitting room to decorate with a theme each month. Am going to prepare now for November.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful Amy ! :)
    All look amazing!! Love these owls :)
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  34. Pretty mantel Amy, I know it is October, but hearing you say only two more to go was rather a shock. I think I need to start getting some Christmas planning done!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. A very autumn-y mantel Amy :) The rabbit, fox & owls give it a nice woodland feel. I really like the crocheted pumpkin AND the hexie bunting!! Great little accents. Have a wonderful day!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sweet mantel, Amy, so much to see! Your little owls are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your mantel, Amy! Your little owls are so cute and love your pretty bunting. I really like your fox, too :) xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  38. Another lovely mantel. It's a bit scary that there are only 2 more to go this year! Time really does fly, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am shocked that we are already in October too, it's scary isn't it? I love your mantel, the pumpkin is so cute. I also love your Holly Hobby bunting and owls. I am decorating for Halloween this weekend, I've given in to the pester power of a 12 year old, but mine won't be nearly as pretty as your decorating xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh I just love the rabbit and fox that you needlefelted - what a fabulous job you did!! And having just discovered your blog, I enjoy seeing the ideas you've come up with for your new mantle decor each month. Have a lovely October!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. You are so talented! I love the garland and the owls are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  42. So much cuteness!!! I love the Hexie Ring Garland, and your felted critters are just too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your decorating is fabulous. I love it all but especially the needle felted animals.

    ReplyDelete
  44. That is one heck of a mantel - it is truly splendid. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love your October mantle! It's so pretty, I think all the little woodland creatures are my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Beautiful autumn mantel Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Beautiful ! I love the pumpkin ... my favorite !! Have a lovely day !

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love your October Mantel, the pretty bunting, the owls with leaves and apples and the dear little fox and rabbit. wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  49. I am in love with the October/November mantel, The quilt pieces are so perfect.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  50. I think I may have said it before about other months' mantles - but this one truly is my favorite!!
    Maybe it's because Fall is my fave, or quite honestly because October is my favorite month out of the year! But I think it's because it's all so adorable this month Amy - from those owls that I would steal from you if I could (Lol) to that crochet pumpkin (I will not die until I learn to crochet a pumpkin!! I just love it) to apples, cute critters, naughty kitty and that incredibly sweet garland. Love love love!!

    Can you tell that I like it? Lol Great job and thanks for sharing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  51. Oh! The pumpkin is cute! I'm glad to see the needle felted rabbit again and those apples look great in the teacup :-) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx