Monday, 5 October 2015

An update

You might remember that at the start of September I posted about a new gadget that I had acquired to try and get me walking and exercising more and also to see how far I actually was walking and how many steps I took when I went for a walk.

The gadget that I bought (and paid for myself, this is not sponsored!), is this little fitbit - called a zip apparently!


I said that I would let you know how I got on with it, so here I am a month later giving you an update.

First of all the actual fitbit.  Well, it was very easy to set up the software, and since then I have had to install one update which was also easy to do.  The device works on your computer by plugging a little device - I think called a dongle? - into the USB slot on the computer.  Then the fitbit connects wirelessly with this and you can then see your progress on the computer.  You can also check your steps during the day by looking on the fitbit screen.  The instructions tell you to thump it to get the screen to change through the different modes and you do have to thump it, a tap or press doesn't work!

It most certainly shows a lot more steps than I have ever recorded with any other pedometer before.  I think that the amount of steps is pretty realistic for the amount of walking that I do.  It clips on to my pocket with a clip on the back that is very strong and it hasn't fallen off/out of my pocket at all and I have worn it every day since I got it.

So as a piece of kit I would recommend it, easy to use, seems to give good information and although it costs more than a mechanical pedometer, I think that it is far more accurate and actually easier to use because it records your information and is generally just better.

Now, to my actual achievements....

These have been, ahem, variable.  When I have walked I have achieved quite a lot of steps, and when I have done nothing, well I have achieved hardly any.  It also tells you distance and "active minutes".  These also match up pretty well to what I have done.  You can see when you look at the data on the computer what you did when, when you were most active and so on and all of that matches up to my activity.

I haven't achieved the greatest results, simply because I haven't put in enough work.  On the days that I have put the effort in and walked I got good results.  Simple as.  It is there in black and white to see plainly.

For me, and I realise that this probably sounds really stupid!, this has been a revelation.  Actually seeing it there in front of me.  I walk, I move, the fitbit confirms the steps, that I burned calories and was active and got off my behind and did something.  If I do nothing, again, it is there confirmed to me.  I see the correlation between moving and eating and not.

The rest of the world has realised this a long time ago but me, well, not so much.  I think that I was deluding myself quite frankly.

The fitbit is very motivational indeed and is making me want to do better. 

So, would I recommend it.  Yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!

If you want to move more, do more, anything like that get one.  You don't have to get the fancy ones that you wear on your wrist, this little fitbit zip does a great job!

The main thing is to get moving and eat less of the bad stuff.

I have yet to see any real results because I haven't yet put enough work in.  But, I now know what I am doing right and wrong and can see it and I am working up to working out more and doing more.

That makes it a success in my book.

As you know from what I have shared recently I was feeling a little blue after our holiday in September, well, I am now feeling much more myself again, so I will get back on the pavement (sidewalk) and get walking again and moving and being back to it and I hope that it will start to yield some results.

I have already had some results because of a mindshift, so that has to be a good start doesn't it.

So that is my update.  Yes, get one!  I will be keeping going and will perhaps update in the future when I have some more results to share.  If you want to ask me anything in the meantime, drop me an e-mail or leave me a comment and if I can answer your questions I will.

Thank you for the support that you offered about this in my previous post on this subject and also in the last few weeks about my feeling blue.  Your cheeriness and support most certainly helped me along!  Thank you too for the overwhelming number of comments on my post on Friday!  So very kind of you all to say such lovely things.  I am glad that you enjoy the decorations that I put together, and I hope that I say it all the time, but I really do appreciate your comments!  You are so kind.  It is raining today, so I hope that as people pass the door it cheers them up too!

Amy

Just a reminder I bought and paid for this fitbit myself, this is not a sponsored post.  All thoughts and opinions are mine!

46 comments:

  1. Well done Amy. Knowing that you do nothing when you do nothing (if I am making sense) is as important as knowing what you do when you do something. We are all prone to fooling ourselves, making the good efforts bigger and the lack of effort smaller. I am a world champion. I have a running app that tells me how much steps I take and it is always a shocker to see how far I have to go to get to a fraction of the recommended 10000 steps at day....You have me convinced that I should get something to monitor my general activity. Happy walking! October is a good month for it, lots of leaves to kick (before they turn to mush later). xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds good and glad you are feeling a lot better. Wonder what mine would look like if I got one? Thought provoking! Have a good week and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great idea to monitor exactly what you're doing, no doubt it's quite motivational. I'm doing very little moving around at the moment (spending time writing), and it doesn't do me any good at all. I feel so much better when I'm more active, and it helps me sleep as well. Must try harder! Wishing you a good week Amy. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it's working well for you :) For me I need to build walking more into my routine, I'm not someone that likes walking on my own particularly. I'm hoping that once our puppy is older and able to walk further I can get a lot more exercise just by doing the dog walks twice a day

    ReplyDelete
  5. It definitely sounds worth getting, in fact, they'd be good Christmas gifts for certain people, now there's an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can confirm everything you've said... And I love my Fitbit. It really does make me get off my backside and move more because I hate it when I don't reach my target steps for the day. Very motivational.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy -
    Glad you've got out of your little dip and things are looking up again. I find life's full of peaks and troughs, and for me at least, seldom stays on an even keel for long. I tell myself when things are tough that it's just a fleeting thing. And I think of Frank Sinatra singing 'That's Life'!
    I was after a pedometer a while ago. The FitBit sounds great. Walking's about the only exercise I can bear; it's just getting out there in the first place that's a problem (especially in winter!)
    Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear you are being more yourself again. Exercise is a great good mood enhancer. Your little gadget sounds like it's a good motivational friend to have around. Enjoy your walking - that's the important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. It great to have some motivation for moving about some more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done you. I can imagine that seeing exactly how much you do would be a great motivator - and I'm glad you've found a gadget that actually works. Have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you're feeling a bit more you, Amy. Well done on your walking - and realising that, if you don't walk, you don't get the steps. It sounds so obvious but I do think we're all "guilty" of kidding ourselves on that we're not as unfit as we really are. I keep thinking back to my grandparents and how they didn't have a car and had to walk everywhere. I keep thinking we should go back to that ... and then I have to go somewhere ... and it's raining ... and the car's right there. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sentence "The main thing is to get moving and eat less of the bad stuff' is the essence. Eating less without moving is the worst thing you can do. I walk and cycle my local footpaths and bridle ways for my parish council reporting on problems. It makes my day when a churned up bridle way that is impassable by bike or even on foot unless you're wearing wellies is re-surfaced to create a good off-road route. Good luck with the steps. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've wondered about getting one of those gadgets Amy. Thanks for sharing your experience with one. I do need to stop sitting so much especially with winter coming! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a Fitbit to wear on my wrist, it even records my sleep clever little thing. Like you say, anything that helps with motivation xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a very useful tool. I enjoyed reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while ... I think It will now be added to my Crimbo wishlist! M x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now that was quite thought provoking Amy I don't walk as much these days I tend to nip everywhere in the car. However since been ill last year and having surgery my diet is certainly very much improved.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Amy, good for you, glad you are feeling better and keep at it!xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Changing your mindset is the biggest part I reckon. my retired Aunt and Uncle bought them and they swear by them. checking whose turn it is to take the dogs for a walk based on who needs the footsteps! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad you are feeling better and I totally understand that actually getting up and moving is so important. Thanks you for the great update and good luck,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a friend who has one of these, and she finds it really motivational. Glad you are feeling a little less blue and that you are "taking steps" to turn it around.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds great Amy, well done. It's very annoying that the rain is back though as it's another hurdle to overcome as it's not so appealing to go out for a walk when it's wet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad your gadget is providing some great motivation :) I can't sit still for too long these days as I start to feel it in my hips (aching), so I try to keep to a regular hour-long morning walk.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Definitely sounds like a winner, I haven't gotten one yet, but I plan on it. Glad you're feeling more like yourself, seasonal changes can get us in strange ways.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You've done so much better than me. I got one about the same time as you but have hardly used it. I'm not even sure where it is at the moment, which shows how back I am. I must try to follow your good example.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well done, Amy! You are in a virtuous circle and will soon see better and better results.
    The fitbit looks very cute. If I had one, we surely would become friends.
    Have a lovely week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just a thunk ... I wonder if you took small steps it would register more than if you took giant strides but still covered the same amount of ground? And what is better exercise, small steps or large ones? Just a thunk!
    Have you lost any weight or wasn't that the issue? Was it simply a matter of getting fitter? But it sounds to be doing the trick and the little device has encouraged you to take more steps.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds a great little gadget. Well done Amy. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Amy,

    Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog! I am glad to read that the device works for you!

    Happy week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Amy, I am so happy you are feeling better and you are getting fit too! I hope you have a wonderful week ahead. Take care.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds great - thanks for the update - definitely a consideration if I ever I have some spare pennies!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's true! Awareness brings change! Good for you, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Glad to hear you are feeling brighter Amy, and I'm definitely putting a Fitbit on my Christmas list. I think I might be very shocked at how little I do but I'm hoping it spurs me on to be a bit more active. I fancy the one that monitors my sleep too as I definitely need to go to bed earlier. X thank you for a fab review X

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Amy! Glad the little gadget is working for you! I don't walk enough. Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for sharing,
    Color me impressed . . . . Some of my students wear fit bits on their wrists - this version looks fun . .
    hmmm - I might have to join your experiment . . .

    ReplyDelete
  36. I used to have a pedometer and it was motivitional, until it quit working. This sounds even better! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I like the cheery red of your FitBit.

    I have a Virgin Health Miles pedometer. I don't know how accurate it is, but I assume it would be the same every day so I can tell if I walked more or less than the time before. Mine isn't quite so fancy, but we earn rewards through Steve's company if we hit certain milestones.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for the update, Amy and glad that the little devise is helping you in your quest to walk more, I could do with some of that encouragement I think. We are hoping to get out for a walk this morning before the rain sets in again as it stopped us walking yesterday. Glad you are feeling more yourself again too:)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Well done Amy, the Fitbit seems to be working well for you, and I think I need to get one too... My walking has slackened off lately, for one reason or another, and my bones start to stiffen and the arthritis kicks in. Fitbit might be my answer, to get me back into action. I have a question - does it have to be attached to a pocket below your waist, or can it be clipped onto another part of your clothing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The instructions say that for a lady it can be clipped on to your bra strap. I haven't done that, but not for any reason, I just haven't tried it. It works just dropped into a pocket, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work on your bra strap. I hope that helps! xx

      Delete
  40. I have a fitbit too.. the watch kind and I love it!! Except for when I forget to put it back on after charging it and feel like every step I am doing is pointless as my watch gadget isn't recording it!! and my stats will go down... hahaha!! Haze x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sounds like you are getting lots of use out it, nothing worse than a gadget that lies in a drawer because you can't get to grips with it, I have a few of those!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Matt has a fitbit too - a great gadget - really useful info. xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm glad that you actually like it! I'm going to look into it and see if I can get one for myself.
    So glad you're feeling better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Well done Amy !! If the little thingy makes you want to move more, and makes you realize there is a correlation between moving and calories, then it was worth its money !
    Moving isn't so much my problem - can't sit still for a second - it's the nasty (and yummy ;-)) stuff I really should stop eating in between meals... Do you think there are also little thingies that slap me on the fingers everything I reach for a piece of chocolate ? Those would be very useful ;-))))

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm glad you are feeling better! I did wonder how you were getting on with it, I guess even wearing it makes you a bit more active because you are aware that everything is being recorded. I'm thinking this might make a good Christmas present for a certain Ms xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx